Christmas Eve Countdown

Monday, May 17, 2010

Work, Work, Work!


Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction.
Anne Frank


Work is definitely one of those four-letter words. I used to spend an awful lot of time and effort getting out of work. In fact it was almost more work getting out of work than to just get up and accomplish something.

When I was growing up I felt it was my divine right to live a life of leisure. My father constantly absolved me of that illusion. I thought it cruel and unusual punishment to have to make my way in the world by the sweat of my brow. Nevertheless, my dad made me work. He had his own business and I had to go to work with him whether I wanted to or not. Most of the time, it was the latter. It took me years to realize that my father was doing me the greatest favor of my life by making me learn to work and come to the actualization that food, money, a living, and leisure time were all things that had to be earned by working. I am now grateful for this life lesson he taught me.

I still have a pronounced lazy streak and I'll procrastinate work at times as long as possible. But in the end, the piper has to be paid either by working or by suffering the consequences of inactivity.

Work is a real blessing. I know for a fact if it weren't for mine and Mrs. Claus' efforts and the hard work of all the elves, everything here at the North Pole would collapse. Work is definitely what makes the world go round. That's why welfare, or enabling a person in sloth and inactivity is soul killing. You take a away a person's pride and nobility when you rob him of the incentive to work. You also eliminate magnification of talent and excellence. Taking away from the person who does work and is productive to continually indulge those ensconced in inactivity is indeed absurd and insane! As Benjamin Franklin said the best course is to make men uncomfortable in their poverty.

Lest you think now that Santa is being less than charitable here, let me say this; I do realize there are those who cannot help, or do for themselves and we of course must help to meet their needs. All of us needs a hand at some time in life, but a hand up when needed is oh so much better that just a hand out. Teaching a man to fish rather than just presenting him with one with no effort on his part, is by far more beneficial.

We all have varying levels of physical ability. Even so, we should always do that that we can. Few of us ever test the limits of our capabilities. So, my friends, work, persevere, get up up off of your duffs; your lives will be mush richer, fuller, and happier when you do.

Anyhow, that's how Santa sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment