Christmas Eve Countdown

Friday, May 21, 2010

Let Yourself Be Used


“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me.”--Erma Bombeck


Most of us are familiar with the parable of the talents in Matthew 25 of the New Testament. God is most pleased when we take what He gives and use it:

19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

We have all been given gifts by our Creator, gifts to be used, not saved for a better time, or hoarded selfishly. I have been approached many times by people meaning to give me a compliment, or fishing for one for themselves, who say, "You are so talented. I wish I had talent." Actually those types of comments always make me sad for the person; not because he or she is not talented, but because they have gifts and talents they are negating and letting lie fallow.


Having talent is great. Not using it, and comparing your particular talent to another's is a pathetic waste. When you discover a talent in yourself, use it, hone it, and then share it! Many are under the unfortunate notion that talent only lies in the arts. If that were true, the world would indeed be a sad place. And, it would make The Deity capricious and less than divine.

Here's another thing; talents you wish to have can be developed through patient determination and tenacious hard work. The game belongs to those who take action, and not necessarily always the most talented. God gave you gifts to help you make a living, bless the lives of others, and to make a positive impact in this world whether large or small. so, get up off your duff and use up your talents. All of us are talented. Perish the thought of standing before your Maker with an armload of excuses instead of accomplishments.

Each of my elves has his or her own special gifts. Some are good at making toys, some administration, others taking care of reindeer, and some at motivating others, etc. The point is, each talent has its place and each is important for the successful running of things here at the North Pole. Anyhow, that's how Santa sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment