Christmas Eve Countdown

Monday, May 31, 2010

In Memorium



A Parable of Immortality

"I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength, and I stand and watch until at last she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other. Then someone at my side says, 'There she goes!'

Gone where? Gone from my sight ... that is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination. Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says, 'There she goes!' there are other eyes watching her coming and their voices ready to take up the glad shouts 'Here she comes!'"

~ by Henry Van Dyke ~


On this Memorial Day, I should like to pay tribute to some dear, dear friends; elves who have had a significant impact on my life and have recently gone on to the next phase of their eternal journey.

First, I was indeed fortunate to have have a class in Old Testament studies at Brigham Young University from the brilliant theologian and scholar, Robert J. Matthews.
He made the "boring" Old Testament come alive for me. His writings are always one of my first resources when I am seeking further insight on religious matters. I'm so glad I got to know him a little and become friends. One of my treasured possessions is one of his books (I'm holding said book in the picture) he signed for me. He passed away August 30, 2009.

On September 12, 2009, our very good friend, Diane Skewes
died suddenly in Nauvoo, Illinois. Diane was a no nonsense type of person who was always so good to me and Mrs. Santa Claus. she and her daughter Larissa were instrumental in getting me and Andrea (Mrs. Claus) together. Diane also designed and built Andrea's wedding dress. Life was never dull around her. We miss her humor and good will.

I love people who are generous with their time and talents. That type of generous spirit was
always present with my very good friend Margaret Poulson Barlow who left us January 12, 2010. As a singer it is not always easy to find a good accompanist, but I was fortunate in having access to Margaret. She played for me when I had singing engagements countless times. Margaret was tireless when it came to music. And, she certainly made it a lot easier to share my musical gift with others. She once hired me to direct a production of "Amahl and the Night Visitors". It was a joy to work closely with her on that project. I'm sure she's playing up a storm for everyone on the other side.

The beautiful mezz0-soprano voice Of Maryann Murdock Mendenhall

was stilled On February 21, 2010. I first met Maryann when she was the music director of a show called "Saturday's Warrior". After my move to California, she became one of my closest and dearest friends, a confidante, promoter, confessor, and surrogate mother. I can't think of enough wonderful things to say about this marvel of a woman. She was always positive with a knack for adventure and fun. People were truly drawn to her. We both shared April birthdays. I always looked forward to her call every year about that time when she would ask, "Joseph, what are we going to do to celebrate our birthdays this year?" I really miss that!


They must be putting on a musical up in Heaven where they needed two competent pianists. I mentioned Margaret Barlow who died in January, but another accompanist I've relied heavily on over the years is Ruth Bown.

She made her transition into the eternities on March 31, 2010. Ruth was always ready, sometimes at a moment's notice to take the piano bench to entertain, add to a church service, or help out a hapless singer in need of instrumental accompaniment. She was patient, unflappable, and kind when she worked with people. Whenever she played for me, she always made me sound better. Orsino's opening dialogue in Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" begins with the exhortation, "If music be the food of love, play on." And, I'm sure Ruth is doing just that!

Friend, mentor, brother, buddy, supporter, listening ear are all words I would use to describe my pal, John Jackson Hess.He left us way too early having died of heart surgery complications on April 2, 2010. Johnny always had good words for me, encouraging me to do my best no matter what the situation. He really was a great comfort to me after my divorce from my first wife and the death of my mother. John took me under his wing. He was also like a walking party. You just felt better whenever he was around. His laugh was truly unforgettable. I'm so glad he has been a part of my life the past three decades.


The latest amongst my elf friends to sojourn to the other side was Joan Welch.

She suffered a heart attack April 29, 2010. Three days earlier, I had just had a fun visit with her at the Bishop's Storehouse. So, when I got the news it just seemed impossible. Joan didn't take herself too seriously. She had a great sense of humor, loved to laugh, and certainly knew how to have fun. She is sorely missed here in the circle of elves at the North Pole.

It's not easy to bid farewell to a friend you love. I miss all my dear elves that have gone on, and have a great hope in the fact I will yet see them again, and we'll just take up where we left off when I do!

Anyhow, that's how Santa sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment