Christmas Eve Countdown

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Going Bananas


“If thou tastest a crust of bread, thou tastest all the stars and all the heavens.” --Robert Browning--Yeah well, you never ate my bread, Robert!
I was determined that when Mrs. Santa left town this time, there would be no culinary disasters on my end. Dare to dream! Since I had four bananas that were way beyond their expiration date, I decided to try my hand at banana bread. With no help from the elves, mind you, I followed the recipe to the letter; adding the ingredients exactly when I supposed to while mixing with the hand beater. Voila! The batter looked great, so I poured it in the bread pans, and put them in the pre -heated oven at exactly the specified temperature. Oh so proud of myself, I called Missus to brag while it was baking. She asked, "Did you find the flour in the cupboard alright, dear?"

I answered, "Nah, I just used the flour in the big glass canister on the counter."

"That's pancake mix," she said, and then began to chuckle.

"Ah crap! another one bites the dust! Did I ruin it?"

"Why don't you call me back after you've given it a taste. I'm sure it will be fine." I knew at that point she was lying through her teeth to keep from hurting my feelings.

You may be wondering now, how it turned out. Well, let's just say, you could definitely tell there was baking powder in the mix! And, I ended up with the fluffiest d#@n banana bread I ever ate.

Haute cuisine just doesn't seem to be in my blood! I'm definitely not related to Paula Deen!

Anyhow, that's how Santa sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment