Christmas Eve Countdown

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Exemplary Driving!


"I have ever deemed it more honorable and more profitable, too, to set a good example than to follow a bad one."--Thomas Jefferson


When you take on the job as Santa, it is expected in that capacity you will at least try to set a good example. Sometimes my aspirations to be a good role model, especially around the elves, don't quite come to fruition. One of my youngest elves is Brandon Derbidge. No one works harder or is more willing to help. He's one of those rare kids, that has indeed learned wisdom in his youth. Despite his being a young pup, Brandon is definitely not afraid to share his opinion, particularly when he is around me!

Yesterday Brandon generously helped me fill food orders at a church run food bank called the Bishop's Storehouse. When we were out delivering those food orders, another driver cut me off, and made it through the traffic light while I had to stop because the light had then turned red.

I know Santa Claus is always supposed to be jolly and take things in stride. In this particular instance, I didn't. Instead, at the top of my voice, I spewed out a couple of cursings at the other driver which called his parentage into question. After I had gotten those invectives out of my system, I quickly apologized to Brandon for letting fly in such a manner with him in the vehicle.

All this time, we had been listening to an inspirational recording, as that's what Brandon enjoys most as music whenever he's one of my passengers. He accepted my apology, knowingly smiled, and said, "Isn't it interesting when you were yelling at that other driver, the song, I'm Trying to be Like Jesus was playing on the CD?"
I then invited the little wretch to keep his trap shut! He's just a tad too observant,that boy! Well, it is true that my outburst was unwarranted; and it's also true that the Jolly Old Elf should work harder at setting a better example.

Anyhow, that's how Santa sees it!

1 comment:

  1. Good one....Leave it to a kid to put you in your place!

    ReplyDelete