Christmas Eve Countdown

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The North Wind Doth Blow

The North wind doth blow, and we shall have snow,
And what will the robin do then, poor thing?--16th Century Nursery Rhyme


This year the Santa season actually kind of started in El Coyote Cafe, my favorite Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles, on the evening of September 29 (my dad's 85th birthday by the way.) Dear friends Peter Jansson and his wife Kristen Echols took me out to eat as a break from all the stress of the move. It was a badly needed break. When Peter and I went to sit at our table, a man carrying his son walked by, the boy being toted looked at me and said, "Hi Santa." The response of the boy rather amused Peter. I count that small encounter at El Coyote as the official start of my 2010 Santa season.


Santa really began to kick into gear for me October 29th, when I was engaged by Central Casting to be one of the Santas on an episode of "The Mentalist". It was just a silent bit thing, but hey, it was S.A.G. scale for a day of just basically hanging around and eating on the Warner Bros back lot. the episode aired on Dec. 9. I haven't seen it yet, but friends have said they deifinitely did see my face on screen. All the Santas working that episode were supposed to park in the futhermost parking lot from the studio which meant about a half mile walk for me. In my prayers that morning, I reminded The Man Upstairs of how bad my knees are, and He took care of it. When I arrived at Warner Bros, I pulled into the wrong gate. The attendant told me I had to turn around and go park in Peanut Heaven. I showed him my Handicapped placard and told him I'd never be able to make that walk with my knees being what they are. He then asked for my driver's license, a few seconds later, he handed me a printed studio drive-on pass and gave me directions to the location. I said, "Man you are the best!" He answered, "Santa, I want a Barbie doll for Christmas, a real live one!" I replied, "For you, I am going to look into that seriously!" Proof yet again that it is easier to get forgiveness than permission. I was the only Santa that got a drive-on. I was able to park right next to the wardrobe trailer. I didn't really noise about my good fortune with the parking for fear I'd be lynched. All the other guys had to hoof it. The shoot itself was fun and a bit grueling for me as I had to do a lot of standing. the very attentive crew made sure I had a place to sit whenever we weren't rolling.
































With "The Mentalist" shoot and my Halloween stint at the costume shop over, the first week in November, I drove to Mesa, AZ with my cousin, Donna Jo. I stayed with a couple of my favorite people, Marc and Denna Denton. They always go the extra mile to make sure Andrea and I am comfortable whenever we visit them. My life-long friend, Mary Ellen Reese-Loose came over to the Denton's one night; it was so good to see her. She and Marc played a duet of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony on the piano. It was the best! In addition to my visit with the Denton's and ME, I got a chance to see my cousin, Ericka Nielsen, and high school buddy, Randy Reidhead. I did attend my high school reunion that week-end. Determined not to call attention to myslef while there, I sat quietly in a cheap piece of crap plastic chair. The chair did not cooperate, and collapsed and shattered under me. Great! The guy with the biggest butt at the reunion ends up flat on his behind in a sea of shattered plastic. So much for my plans not to call attention to myself and embarrass myself. The proprietress of the place came running over and asked if I was hurt. I said, "Yes, but not in the way you think!"































The day after the reunion I do a santa photo session for the Denton's, their sons, and grandchildren.





























































From Mesa, I drove up to Utah the following morning. (I-89 out of Flagstaff is a much prettier drive than heading up to Utah on I-15 out of Los Angeles. The California desert is truly butt ugly!) Once I got through the Navajo Reservation, and into the state of Utah, it began pouring rain. I battled snow flurries and rain all the way into Utah Valley. It was as if the heavens were protesting my being there! I arrived in Lindon around 2:30, and I have to tell you after not seeing my wife for nearly four months, she was definitely a sight for sore eyes that afternoon. It's hard to be apart when you are married to the love of your life. She has been living at her sister's place in Lindon. Since there was not room for me there, I stayed at my cousin's place in Orem. Ergo, after 18 years of marriage, Andrea and I were dating!

My reunion with Andrea was an all too short two weeks, as I had to return to Los Angeles by Thanksgiving. But, in that two-week time period, I managed to get my foot in the door as Santa in Utah. The first experience came when I had gone to Wal-Mart with Missus. While sitting on a bench inside the store, a woman approached with two kids in a shopping cart. "My kids think you are Santa Claus," she said sheepishly. I came back with, "You're in luck, I am Santa Claus." I conducted a Santa interview with her children right there in the middle of Wal-Mart Mind you, I was not even wearing red at the time.

A few days later I was with my good buddy, John McAtee. He took me out to eat at Cafe Rio in Orem. when we were about to leave, I noticed two wide-eyed moppets, a brother and sister, standing at our table staring up at me. The boy spoke up and asked, "Santa Claus?" Answering, I responded, "Yes, I am Santa Claus!" His reply to that was an awestruck, "Whoa!" A couple of seconds later the two were joined buy an even younger brother. I could tell the parents were really embarrassed, but I assured them it was just fine and not to worry. This time, though I was dressed in black, and in the middle of Cafe Rio, I conducted yet another impromptu Santa visit. Go figure.
My generous cousin, Dwight Muse and his wife Teresa put me up in their home while I was in Utah. One night for family Home Evening, all of their kids and grandkids who live in close proximity to them came over for dinner. I donned my Mr. Santa garb as part of the festivities, so they could have family Santa photos. It really was a riot with lots of laughs, especially when Dwight found himself in an interesting position with a Christmas goose. It quite literally was a Christmas goose! Their son Stephen's boys, and daughter Danielle's girls are nothing short of adorable.















Dwight and Teresa have been wonderful to me over the years. I am so fortunate to have awesome relatives!

I not only did pictures with my side of the family, I did some with Andrea's side as well. I made a surprise visit to our nephew, Wayne Tomlinson's house. Wayne and Liz's kids, Lexy and Seth were duly impressed not only with having Santa visit their house, but with the Elf on the Shelf gift Andrea and I gave them as well.

Mickey Coombs, a close friend of our niece Korbie, actually hired me to play Santa at their big family party the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Now, with these Utah Santa experiences and the photo session with the Denton's in Mesa, my Santa season was pretty much in full bore.
On that snowy, freezing, hailing, sleeting Sunday before Thanksgiving, we had a family feast at Wayne's place, with a big portion of Sharon Tomlinson's (Andrea's sister) family in attendance. I was stuffed afterwards. We invited our close friends; the Derbidge's to join us for this event because we consider them family. We were close to them down in Glendale. In July, they moved to Salt Lake. It was really, really nice to see them again.










































Andrea and I got to do some other fun things during my sojourn in Utah. first, my isiter-in-law, sharon is a member of the Mountain Jubilee Chorus, a Sweet Adelines group. We took Teresa and her mother, Beverly to see Sharon's group in concert in Salt Lake. They are very good, and the concert was enjoyable. A guest group called Noteworthy also performed. They were really amazing.
Another fun thing we did was take our close friends, Joe Paur, my singing partner and best friend, and his wife Janice to dinner. We also invited my good buddy Nathan Watts, who is now attending BYU and was a missionary who lived with us this last year in Glendale the last few months of his mission. This guy had me laughing my a** off for a solid six months. Anyway, he was my favorite amongst the guys who came to stay with us. Not only was he a hell of a lot of fun, he brought a great spirit into our home as well. Plus, he saw me in every state of dress from A to Z and still considers me a friend! That's a real plus! Andrea and I wanted to adopt him, but he was already 21 and his parents might have had something to say about it as well! Meanwhile, back at the restaurant, in the course of conversation, we found out that Nathan's dad, Kevin, and Joe were on the track team together at U of U back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. It really is a small world! Nathan's youngest sister is a big fan of the movie, "Rigoletto", which Joe starred in. Joe signed a DVD of the film for Nathan to give to her.











Well, all good things must come to an end, so did my visit in Utah. I had planned to leave on Tuesday, November 23. However, a huge storm was slated to arrive then and blanket the entire state. In order to beat the storm, I had to leave Monday November 22. Andrea made a hotel reservation for me in Mesquite Nevada for that night. So, on Monday, after lunch with Andrea and our friend, Miles Romney, I quickly packed and was sent on my way by Teresa with a bag of snacks for the road. After filling the sleigh with gas, my first stop was Provo, where I picked up Nathan Watts and his sister, Katherine. I took them to the Salt Lake airport where they were catching a flight to Colorado for Thanksgiving. The drive to Mesquite that night was awfully lonely because I was already missing Mrs. Santa Claus, and Christmas, which is when I will see her again, seemed like an eternity away.
Anyhow, that's how Santa sees it!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool post Joe. I'm glad to see Santa is getting off to a good start in Utah.

    Joe Paur! Dang! I knew I had seen his comments on your FB, but I had no idea who he was. My kids grew up on Rigoletto, and I have always admired his talents. That is very cool.

    ReplyDelete